Zachary R. Broderick
email@example.com | zacharybroderick.com | Somerville, MA
BS Computer Science
December 2008 – Waltham, MA
3.8 GPA, Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Presidential Scholarship, Business Minor
MS Computer Science
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
May 2011 – Worcester, MA
4.0 GPA, NSF GK-12 Fellowship, published in Journal of Interactive Learning Research
Backend Software Engineer
The Tap Lab
March 2013 – Present
- Led effort to automate backend infrastructure using Chef, enabling rapid scaling in response to launch traffic and ensuring uptime and performance.
- Refactored critical backend code paths (Ruby on Rails), ensuring data integrity, increasing performance and hardening against exploitation. Wrote entire suite of unit tests for existing components.
- Developed administrative panel for automation of common tasks and analysis of game state, saving considerable QA time and allowing for more rapid diagnosis and response to issues.
- Researched, designed and implemented a vector-based map tile system on top of Open Street Map data to replace a deprecated service critical to the functioning of the game.
December 2011 – February 2013
- Designed and implemented job framework to process gigabytes of daily log files with Elastic MapReduce and Hadoop Streaming using Ruby and outputting the results to Riak, providing the data backend for several products including publisher analytics and recommendations.
- Designed and implemented a Rails application providing APIs for publisher analytics and recommendations, including a library for extracting thumbnails from web pages.
- Developed and maintained an internal dashboard that recorded, charted, and displayed critical business metrics and monitored their progress over time.
Software Development Engineer in Test
April 2011 – November 2011
- Maintained and enhanced test infrastructure in C#/.NET for App-V SE team.
Senior Developer / Project Manager
ASSISTments Project – WPI
January 2009 – May 2011
- Designed and implemented a feature allowing parents to monitor students’ performance using detailed reports, scheduled emails, and a messaging subsystem for communication with teachers in Ruby on Rails.
- Tackled the challenging task of refactoring complex and delicate system internals, increasing the stability and robustness of critical system infrastructure.
- Designed the core architecture of the next generation website and developed an adapter that allows communication between the legacy Rails system and the new Java front-end.